Wednesday, June 27, 2012

As I find myself embarking on the most difficult journey of my life, something magical came into my life... her name is Sadie... This is the beginning chapter of what I hope to be an everlasting novel. Sadie picked me, and I found out very quickly for a reason, much greater than I could have ever imagined.

On Wednesday June 13, 2012 Sadie picked me at the Foothills Animal Shelter. All it took was one look into those deep brown eyes, and I knew I was taking her home with me. The love she exhibited stole my heart from the moment we were in the same room... a love I so desperately find myself needing these days. I went into this journey saying I wanted to give a dog what I need most right now, new life, love, and companionship.

I come to find out a week later that Sadie tested positive for heart worms. We've all heard about heartworm prevention, no doubt, and I had the same immediate reaction that most everyone I know had...you can give her some pills, and she'll be fine, right?  I quickly learned that my new best friend could be potentially really sick... and most of all, needs someone to provide the expensive and extensive help she so desperately needs... Maybe after all, why she picked me.

At this point, only hundreds of dollars in, we both have a long journey ahead of us. 20 mg of Prednisone a day and 400 mg of Doxycycline a day seem simple compared to the injections to come 60 and 90 days from now. Worst of all, we are pretty much homebound for the next 5 months with little to no exercise allowed while Sadie's heart heals.  I welcome you to join us on this journey of two healing hearts and all of the lessons to be learned between two of God's creatures that were brought together for a reason greater than we can ever imagine.

"Therefore we do not lost heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal"
-2 Corinthians 4:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment